Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Eastern Washington.

I took a trip to Spokane to see my little sister this weekend. She attends the Inter-Collegiate Nursing College there. I had thought about bringing my play boat, because apparently there are some decent playspots around the area, and Idaho is pretty close. The trip was only a couple of days though, and I thought it would be better to spend time with family rather than kill time playing. I didn't get a chance to check out any of the playspots, but I did get a chance to check out Spokane Falls. Spokane Falls is on the Spokane river right in the heart of downtown. This impressive falls has two major drops on it. The first starts out with a class three lead-in into some of the biggest whitewater I have ever seen. The falls has some huge holes in it that are backed by some submerged ledges. Pretty burly. As far as I know, no one has ever run it in a kayak. The second drop starts with a large weir drop into more gigantic water. It is definately not runnable. Like I said, it was some pretty impressive stuff. It's hard to scale the picture of the falls, but the initial drop near the rock finger is about twenty feet tall!

(Spokane Falls from the footbridge)

(A nursing student in fine form)

(Despite the fact that Eastern Washington as a whole is pretty ugly, Spokane actually has some nice scenery)

Falls Video Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9yZPZ-XnWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrBRna-MrmU

No comments: